Thursday, November 10, 2011

Remembrance Day

The 11th of the 11th, today in Australia we observe Remembrance Day, a day to remember fallen soldiers. So in commemoration I decided to bake a batch of ANZAC biscuits.

An ANZAC was a member of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, the ANZAC biscuit is a crunchy delicious morsel of food made by Australian women during the war to send to overseas troops.

As my brother-in-law pointed out it is not actually ANZAC Day but none the less I think the ANZAC biscuit is appropriate.

So presenting the humble ANZAC Biscuit....



I used my trusty Donna Hay Classics 2 cook book for the recipe though they are pretty much the same everywhere you go. You will see that they flatten quite a bit and according to the boys are best if only cooked for a short time and eaten straight away - I like them both ways. When I first started using this recipe I read the ingredients but then just threw them all into a bowl disregarding the melting butter and golden syrup part... they were still good and I found that margarine not butter helped them hold their shape.

But.... these ones are the bomb and if flat biscuits are not something you are into you could try refrigerating the mixture for 5 mins or so before putting them in the oven
But you should definitely make 2 batches



No comments:

Post a Comment