Sunday, August 26, 2012

Monday. Father's Day Card DIY

Yay!!! I feel like it has been forever since we have had a DIY week on the blog!! In this part of the world Father's Day falls on the first Sunday of September so I have cooked up a few different bits and bobs to make celebrating 'Dads' super awesome.

Starting with this ridiculously cool card I made for my very own Dad!

It won't actually reach him by the time this post goes live so Dad just act surprised ;)

My Dad is pretty damn cool, he plays the guitar like a boss and always makes me laugh with the funny things he does. I like to think we are super close and one of the things he has got me hooked on (along with a good glass of red) is Doctor Who. It's ridiculously addictive and the eleventh doctor makes bow ties look good hence the decision to whack an origami bow tie onto a Doctor Who themed 'keep calm' poster.

How exactly did I do it and how can you make your own 'keep calm' bow tie card? read on


1. Take an A4 piece of paper and fold it in thirds
2. Cut out your thirds (this will make 3 bow ties - enough for Dad, Grandpa etc)
3. Fold your piece of paper in half
4. Open out the paper and fold the corners into the centreline
5. Fold the sides into the centreline
6. Fold your paper in half to make a crease

7. You are now going to make a 'waterbomb base' (sometimes this step can be tricky so I took plenty of pictures) make diagonal folds by folding up as shown with centre crease meeting the centre fold
8. Repeat on opposite side and unfold
9. Fold that centre crease into the middle
10. The two sides folded together will look like this lain flat
11. Fold the flap back where the top makes a small triangle
12. Flip and repeat on other side


13. Now fold the two bottom corners into the centre fold being especially careful (the full paper might make it a bit difficult)
14. Take the two flaps and open very gently, you will see a square form in the middle
15. Push the square flat if necessary et voila!

You might notice that the ends of the bow tie come to a point you can leave as is or simply fold them behind to give a more traditional shape.

The bow tie is now ready to be stuck onto your card (or used as a gift bow) to make a 'keep calm' style poster you can head to this site here. It's this simple.


I simply omitted the logo at the top so that I would have room for the bow tie. Don't forget to upload your finished card onto my Facebook page here. I would love to see them :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow! that is awesome! I've yet to watch Doctor Who but but I really love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol no you didn't just say that!! Jokes however you MUST watch Dr Who!! It's so so good :)

      Delete